University of Ibadan, U.I adopts new grading SYSTEM in line with international best practices.
The management of University of Ibadan, UI, announced a change in his grading system through her official website after being signed in a memo by Professor M.A Kahinde.
The Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA which was 7.0 before was changed to 4.0 CGPA scale.
This change Will be effected with the newly admitted 100 level and direct entry students of 2016/2017 academic session.
This new development was effected in a bid to align with universities worldwide and also to meet the requirements set by the National Universities Commission, NUC.
The memo dated 18 July. 2016 provides information with the grading system the University decided on and the minimum unit a student is meant to register for.
Change in U.I new grading status of courses (GES inclusive) in the university of Ibadan, U.I
Change in the status of courses in the U.I as follows:
- The course units a student should register for should not be less than 40units.
- A student must pass 60% of the 40 units before he/she can proceed to the next level.
- Apart from GES 101 and 201, all other GES are REQUIRED Courses for the new intakes And
- The new 4-Point Grading System is adopted in order to align with other universities world-wide and the statuesque recommended by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
As against the 30 units registered for in the past, the memo States that the minimum units a student can now register for is 40 units. This will begin from the 100level and direct entry set of 2016/2017 session .
With this new development, there are also new regulations guiding withdrawal of students in the University
U.I New grading: regulations guiding withdrawal of students
- 100 Level: A student who pass less than 24 units at the end of the first year will be asked to withdraw from the University.
- 200 Level: A student who pass less than 48 units at the end of the second year will be asked to withdraw.
- 300 Level: A student who do not meet up to 72units at the end of this level should be asked to withdraw.
- The CGPA at each level should not be less than 1.0
The memo concluded, “Under the new Four (4)-Point Grading Scale, grades
The memo is to be used for students who have satisfactorily completed the course of study are as follows:
- A (70 and above) 4
- B (60-69%) 3
- C (50-59%) 2
- D (45-49%) 1, and
- E (40-44%) 0.
CGPA Ranges under the new Four (4)- Point Grading Scale for Classification of Degrees:
- 3.5- 4.00 – First Class Honours
- 3.0-3.49 – Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
- 2.0-2.99 – Second Class Honours (Lower Division) and
- 1.0-1.99 – Third Class Honours.
- Students with CGPA less than 1.0 will not be awarded any degree.
With this new development The management of university of University of Ibadan therefore enjoined all deans of faculties, and heads of departments to ensure strict compliance to the regulations which will begin with the 100level students of 2016/2017 Session, while old students continues with the old regulations.