SAT Practice: How SAT Works, Exam Date And Cost.
The full meaning of SAT is Scholastic Assessment Test. SAT is a Standardized Test administered by the College Board and is required to be taken by students seeking admission to undergraduate schools. SAT was earlier known as the Scholastic Aptitude Test.
The aim of Scholastic Assessment Test is to evaluate the written, Spoken and mathematical skills of applicants. Students who aspire to pursue undergraduate courses, particularly in the US and Canada, are required to take SAT.
SAT Questions are to test your knowledge of the Course you wish to study. Subject tests are offered in areas like Literature, History, Mathematics, Sciences and Foreign Languages.
Colleges want to admit students who will have successful college experiences and go on to have successful careers. Colleges use the SAT in admissions because it’s developed according to rigorous specifications, with input from numerous experts, to assess what matters most for college and career readiness and success.
Who is Eligible For SAT
1. Candidates of any age can apply. There is no minimum or maximum age criteria fixed for students wanting to take the exam.
2. Students can take the SAT exam as many times as they want. If
3. There are no specific eligibility criteria set by the body that conducts and manages the SAT exam. However, it can be taken by students who are in Secondary school. Students who want to apply for undergraduate studies abroad are required to have successfully completed their high school education to move to the next level of their learning.
4. College Board, a private, not-for-profit Corporation in the US owns and publishes the SAT, and does not prescribe any prerequisites for the exam.
5. One needs a debit/credit card with international currency support enabled to be able to register for the exam. College Board does not specify any age requirement; however, a valid Indian passport is a must to appear for the exam.
When is SAT Exam Written?
The SAT body releases an official calendar for SAT dates and deadlines, and the test is generally scheduled on Saturdays. College Board sets the International SAT dates and deadlines every year.
How Much is SAT Fees
In Nigeria, Budget between ₦45,000 and ₦65,000. Note that this estimate is based on the SAT written by some in the past two years here in Nigeria. Depending on your test center, you may incur more costs.
The basic fee for the Scholastic Assessment Test is $52, but it varies based on the country of the applicant. For Indian applicants, the fee for SAT comes out to be ~$106 (with written essay), or ~$94 (without essay). In Indian Rupees, the SAT exam fee is around 6200-7000 INR.
Apart from the general SAT, one can sit for subject SATs which can be useful under certain circumstances. The fee for subject SATs comes out to be ~$111, though the importance of subject tests is gradually diminishing in general.
How SAT Exam Looks
The Table below shows how SAT Exam Looks:
|Section||Test||Duration||Number of Questions|
|Evidence-based Reading and Writing||Reading||65 Minutes||52|
|Writing and Language||35 Minutes||44|
|Mathematics||Math (Calculator not allowed)||25 Minutes||20|
|Math (Calculator allowed)||55 Minutes||38|
|∑ 230 Minutes||∑ 154 Questions|
|Essay (Optional)||50 Minutes||1 Task|
SAT Cut Off Mark
Below is a table by Magoosh showing the middle 50% score range (meaning 25% of admitted students had lower scores and 25% had higher scores) for Ivy League schools:
|University||Old SAT Score Range||Projected New SAT Score Range|
|University of Pennsylvania||2050-2330||1440-1570|
SAT Exam Dates
The SAT Exam is held multiple times round-the-year. Students looking to appear for their SAT are advised to choose an exam date 3-4 months before their application deadline, to avoid any last-minute error.
The available Tests and SAT Exam dates are as follows:
|Test Date||Test Available||SAT Registration Deadline|
|June 1, 2019||SAT Subject Test||n/a|
|October 5, 2019||SAT Test
SAT Subject Test
|September 6, 2019|
|November 2, 2019||SAT Subject Test||n/a|
|December 7, 2019||SAT Test
SAT Subject Test
|November 8, 2019|
|March 14, 2020||SAT Test||February 14, 2020|
|May 2, 2020||SAT Test
SAT Subject Test
|April 3, 2020|
|June 6, 2020||SAT Subject Test||n/a|
SECTIONS IN SAT EXAM
- SAT writing has three sections
- Essay section – 25 mins
- Multiple choice sections – 25 mins and 10 mins
Critical Reading Section
- SAT contains three critical reading sections
- Reading comprehension – 25 mins
- Sentence completions – 25 mins
- Paragraph-length critical reading – 20 mins
- SAT contains three Math sections
- Algebra and functions – 25 mins
- Geometry Statistics – 20 mins
- Probability and Data analysis – 20 mins
With a good SAT study material, you will be good to go.
Scores in SAT
The SAT is divided into Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. These two sections are scored on a 200-800 point scale, for a maximum total score of 1600. SAT Subject Test scores are measured on a scale of 200 to 800. There are additional subscores reported on a 20-80 scale.
An average SAT score is around 1000. Anything above 1200 is considered a good SAT score. The maximum anyone can score on the SAT is the perfect score of 1600.
Sending SAT Scores: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Sign in to your College Board account
- You will see an option for ‘Send Scores’. Click on ‘Send Scores’.
- Next step is to choose ‘Send Available Scores Now’ (for sending scores immediately) or click on ‘Send Scores When Available’ (if scores are yet to be declared or you are yet to sit for the exam)
- Add recipients by choosing your shortlisted colleges. You can search them by name and by state.
- Make sure you double-check all the recipients and personal details, and then only pay the final amount
SAT Score Validity Period
The SAT scores are valid over a period of 5 years, until or unless there has been a change in the criteria for SAT. Candidates mostly do not use their SAT scores till five years or so. They usually take new tests and then they apply to the desired colleges. Students can also order an additional copy of their scorecards for the purpose of sending it to more colleges and can pay a sum of $ 9 (433.224 INR).
SAT Score Verification
SAT Score verification is nothing but a revaluation of your test scores, to check that you have received scores in all sections and nothing has been skipped. So, if you feel that the SAT score that you received is different than what you expected, you may have missed or made a mistake in marking your answers. Another reason for different SAT score than expected can be that your Essay is illegible or blank when one views it online. Under SAT score verification you have three options:
- Multiple-choice hand score verification
- Essay score verification
- Or both, Multiple-choice and Essay score
You can put in this request within the next five months after test day by filling in a SAT score verification form. Before going further, it is advised to read the instructions carefully given on the form. You will also be required to submit a score verification fee. For students with a fee waiver, this score verification fee will be reduced. You will receive a letter with the new and confirmed results within five weeks once you pay the verification fee and submit your form. If there are any changes in the SAT scores post verification due to an irregularity in the scoring or scanning process, the verification fee will be refunded.
The scoring for SAT is evaluated out of 2400 (from 600 to 2400). Subject wise scores range from 200 -800, where 200 is the minimum and 800 is the maximum score. The scores for your exams are available after 3 weeks of taking up the examination. Colleges have different criteria for selecting students on the basis of their scores.
Steps to access SAT Results
Follow these steps to access your SAT Scores:
- Click on ‘My Organizer’
- On your left side menu, you will see the option ‘SAT scores’, select it
- Next, click on ‘Access My Scores’
- You will be asked username and password, enter these details
- Scroll down until you see the option of ‘My Test Scores’
Countries That Accept SAT Score
Every country has its own selection criteria for international students. The SAT Exam is accepted in various colleges worldwide. It is most popular for undergraduate courses in the USA and Canada. Though it is also accepted by some universities in the UK and Australia.
SAT Test Centers in Nigeria
SAT Registration can be done either by coming down to any of our Branches or by registering via our website. We are a Registration center for SAT anywhere in all 36 states of Nigeria be it Lagos, FCT Abuja, Port Harcourt, Owerri, Asaba, Enugu, Jos, Kaduna, Benin, Kwara, Ibadan and Osun.
AMER CHRISTIAN ACAD