List of Courses Offered by Covenant University Postgraduate school
Opportunities exist for suitably qualified candidates for postgraduate training leading to the award of Masters and Ph.D. degrees at Covenant University.
POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES IN COVENANT UNIVERSITY.
The postgraduate programmes available in our four Colleges are as follows:
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS & SOCIAL SCIENCES
1. DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTINGa. Programme: AccountingDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization:• Public Sector Accounting• Environmental Accounting• Management Accounting• Oil and Gas Accounting• Taxation• Financial Reporting• Auditing• International Accounting• Management Information SystemsSpecific Requirements:Degree(s) in Accounting; possession offinal professional certificates (ICAN,ACCA, CPA, etc.) is considered anadded advantage.
2.DEPARTMENT OF BANKING &FINANCEa. Programme: FinanceDegree in View: M.Sc., M.Sc./ACIB,Ph.D.Areas of Specialization:• International Finance• Corporate Finance• Financial Development• Banking Operations• Public Sector FinanceCandidates with degree(s) in Economics, Accounting, or Business Administration may be considered.
3.DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENTa. Programme: Business AdministrationDegree in View: M.Sc., MBA, Ph.D.b. Programme: Industrial Relations & HumanResource ManagementDegree in View: M.Sc., MBA, Ph.D.c. Programme: MarketingDegree in View: M.Sc., MBA, Ph.D.Candidates with degree(s) in other business-related disciplines such as Accounting, Financeand Actuarial Science may be considered.
4.DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS &DEVELOPMENT STUDIESa. Programme: EconomicsDegree in View: M.Sc.b.Programme: Demography and SocialStatisticsDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.
5.DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATIONa. Programme: Mass CommunicationDegree in View: M.Sc., M.Phil/Ph.D., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization:• Advertising, Promotions and Social Marketing• Broadcast (Radio, Television and Film)•Print/Online Journalism (Newspaper andMagazine)• Public Relations/Public AffairsAreas of Specialization: • Journalism• Media, Communication and Cultural Studies
6. DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGYa. Programme: SociologyDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Gender and Development Studies• Population Studies• Family and Reproductive Health• Industrial Sociology• Political Sociology• Rural Sociology• Cultural Studies• Medical Sociology• Sociology of Development
COLLEGE OF LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT STUDIES1. DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY Programme:
Counselling Degree in View: MA, Ph.D.a. Programme: Psychology Degree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Counselling Psychology• Adolescent Psychology• Clinical Psychology• Educational Psychology• Organizational Psychology• Social Psychology
2.DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE &INTERNATIONAL RELATIONSa. Programme: International RelationsDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.b. Programme: Political ScienceDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.c.Programme: Policy & StrategicStudiesDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.d.Programme: Public Administration Degree in View: M.Sc., MPA, Ph.D.MPA Areas of Specialization• Public Policy and Administration• Personnel Management
3. DEPARTMENT OF LANGUAGESa. Programme: EnglishLanguage/LiteratureDegree in View: M.A., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Language• Literature
COLLEGE OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
1.DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE a. Programme: ArchitectureDegree in View: M.Sc.
2.DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGICALSCIENCESa. Programme: BiochemistryDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Enzymology• Food and Nutritional Biochemistry
• Medicinal Plant Research• Industrial Biochemistry• Clinical Biochemistry• Toxicological Biochemistry• Environmental Biochemistry• Molecular Biologyb.Programme: Biology (AppliedBiology & Biotechnology)Degree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Plant Physiology and Biotechnology• Plant genetics and Breeding• Biosystematics and Cytogenetics• Parasitology• Environmental Biology• Eco-toxicologyc. Programme: MicrobiologyDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Medical Microbiology• Food Microbiology• Environmental Microbiology• Industrial Biochemistry• Plant Virology
3.DEPARTMENT OF BUILDINGTECHNOLOGYa. Programme:
Building TechnologyDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Construction Management• Building Services• Maintenance Management• Facility Management
4. DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY. Programme: Industrial ChemistryDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.
5.DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER &INFORMATION SCIENCES. Programme: Computer ScienceDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Software Engineering• Artificial Intelligence• Bioinformatics• Mobile Computing• Data Mining• Cybercrime Security/Digital Forensic• Machine Learning• Perceptual Computing• Optimization Techniquesb.Programme: Management Information System (MIS)Degree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Software Engineering• Artificial Intelligence• Information System• E-Commerce Research• Mobile Computing• Cybercrime Security/ Digital Forensic• Big data Analytics• Health Informatics• Data Communication
6.DEPARTMENT OF ESTATE MANAGEMENT. Programme: Estate ManagementDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.
7. DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICSProgramme: Industrial MathematicsDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.
8. DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICSProgramme: Industrial PhysicsDegree in View: M.Sc., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Atmospheric & Communication Physics• Renewable Energy and Material Physics• Radiation and Health Physics• Applied Geophysics
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
1. DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. Programme: Chemical EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Energy and Renewable Energy•Catalysis and Chemical ReactionEngineering• Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics• Transport and Separation Process
2. DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING. Programme: Civil EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization•Water Resources and EnvironmentalEngineering•Structural and Materials Engineering•Geotechnical EngineeringAreas of Specialization•Surveying and Geoinfomatics•Water Resources and EnvironmentalEngineering
3.DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL &INFORMATION ENGINEERINGa.Programme: Computer EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization• Cyber Securityb.Programme: Electrical & ElectronicsEngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization•Power & Machines•Renewable Energyc.Programme: Information & Communication EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization •Satellite Communication•Wireless Communications•IOT & Embedded Systems•Cyber Security
4.DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICALENGINEERINGa. Programme: Mechanical EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization•Machine Design and Production Technology•Thermo fluid/ Energy System•Materials/ Metallurgical Engineering•Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering•Mechatronics Engineering
5.DEPARTMENT OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERINGa.Programme: Petroleum EngineeringDegree in View: M.Eng., Ph.D.Areas of Specialization: M.Eng.•Reservoir Engineering•Petroleum Production Engineering•Petroleum EconomicsAreas of Specialization: Ph.D•Reservoir Engineering•Petroleum Production EngineeringMASTERS & Ph.D. PROGRAMMES
Interested candidates shall complete the application form on the University portal and provide all relevant documents as specified on the application form, including certificates of degrees and/or diplomas, academic transcripts, reference letters, and a 500-word statement of intent in the proposed research area.
Candidates who are Nigerian citizens shall, in addition, provide the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge, exemption or exclusion certificate. Each candidate shall request and ensure that the institution(s) attended process and forward official academic transcript(s) directly to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies. Only candidates whose transcripts have been received will be considered for admission. The completed form and all documents should be submitted latest by May 13, 2017.
•Masters Degree Programme:
Candidates seeking admission to the Mastersdegree Programme of Covenant University must possess a Bachelor’s degree fromCovenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University, with a minimum of Second Class(Lower Division) in the relevant discipline. Candidates with Third Class Bachelor’sdegree or HND (Lower Credit) who in addition, possess a Postgraduate diploma(PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 on a 5.00 scale in a relevant discipline may be considered.
Minimum duration of study for theaward of the Master’s degree is two academic sessions for full-time.
•Ph.D. Degree Programme:
Candidates seeking admission to the Doctorof Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree Programme ofCovenant University must possess the Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees of Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University in the relevant discipline. To qualify for direct entry into the Ph.D. Degree Programme programme, a candidate must have aminimum CGPA of 4.00 on a 5.00 scale orequivalent (60%) in the Master’s(M.A./M.Sc./M.Eng./M.Tech.) programme.Candidates with CGPA of 3.50–3.99 on a 5.00point scale or equivalent (55–59%) in the Master’s programme may be considered for M.Phil./Ph.D.programme. CovenantUniversity does not award M.Phil. degree.The M.Phil./Ph.D. programme is intended to prepare candidates for the Ph.D. degree.Candidates with professional Master’sdegrees are not eligible for the Ph.D.programme except they obtained M.Sc.degrees in the relevant fields.
The minimum duration duration of study for the award of Ph.D.degree is three and four academic sessionsrespectively for the full-time and part-timemode respectively.
COVENANT BUSINESS SCHOOL (CBS)•
Master of Business Administration (MBA). The Covenant Business School (CBS) offersMaster of Business Administration (MBA)degree Programme with options in:Accounting, Business Administration,Finance, Marketing, Human ResourceManagement, Entrepreneurship and RealEstate.
Candidates seeking admission to the MBA degree Programme must possess aBachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline withat least a second class lower division fromCovenant University or any other universityrecognized by the Senate. Candidates with Third Class Bachelor’s degree, HND(minimum of Lower Credit) in a relevant discipline or professional qualifications such as ACA, ICAN, ACIB, etc. must have, in addition, a Postgraduate diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 to qualify for admission. The duration of study for the award of the MBA degree is two academic sessions (Full-time).
Screening and Selection Criteria
All applicants shall undergo a screening exercise, involving written and oral tests in the desired programme. A minimum score of 50% in each of the categories is required for a candidate to be considered eligible for admission. Candidate’s academic transcript(s) must be received before the final admission could be processed.Screening Dates Prospective candidates should take note of the screening dates for the conduct of the Computer Based Test (CBT) as listed below:•
College of Science and Technology &College of Engineering: May 25, 2017•
College of Business and SocialSciences & College of LeadershipDevelopment Studies: May 30, 2017
International candidates who may be applying for any of the programmes would have their screening examinations conducted on-line. Such candidates are expected to forward their intention (interest) by email to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies on this link: deansps@[email protected] to include their Skype ID phone number and time/date of choice.
PROCEDURES FOR ON-LINE APPLICATION
Log on to www.sps.covenantuniversity.edu.ng (the Covenant University School of Postgraduate Studies Website).
Locate the 2017/2018 postgraduate admissions link, where you would be required to follow the steps outlined below:•
- Create a personal account for your admission Admission process (Note: Do not use the password to your private email)•
- After a successful creation of the account, login to the account andcomplete the online form.•
- The payment page is displayed byclicking on the submit button after youhave successfully completed theonline form.•
- The cost of the application form is N15,000.00 (Fifteen Thousand Naira) only.Additional transaction charge ofN600.00 and N900.00 for bank oronline payment respectively. Payment can either be made at these banks(Covenant University MicrofinanceBank, Ecobank, First Bank andGTBank) or online; you are expected to select the card payment optionbefore you can proceed.• Card Payment via the Internet: You can make payment using your ATM card.•
- After successful fee payment, you are expected to upload your passport,after which your application number is displayed (please copy it).